What are you looking for?


Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mathematics in daily life

Mathematics is an integral part of our life. Right from the time we wake up in the morning till we go to sleep, invariably we are using mathematics in one or the other way. Teaching mathematics in classroom using pictures from daily life can help students in understanding a concept in a better manner. For instance, when a child is introduced the concept of 3 dimension , he/she is not able to visualise it. Learning of this concept can be made simpler and interesting by showing them actual objects or their real pictures. It will surely help in not only understanding but also retaining the same for a longer time.
One of my students went to a cinema hall and clicked the following pictures showing 3Dimensional shapes and geometry.


Cambre Prater said...

I completely agree that teachers need to incorporate examples from everyday life into daily lessons. Students need to see how what they learn everyday is relevant to their lives. I remember when I was in elementary school and even in secondary, I was constantly wondering how what I learned everyday would apply to my life. I thought that many things I taught were just a waste of time. I also think that relating lessons to life outside of school helps student to grasps concepts better. When I had to teach a lesson on area, I had students bring in any boxes from their homes so we could find the area of it. It just showed them that math is everywhere, even in your own home.

Emily said...

Great post, thanks for sharing. First of all, I think visuals are definitely important in the learning process. I'm a very visual person, and it helps me to see a visual representation of a concept instead of someone just telling me about it. Second, I also agree that about the importance of relating everyday life to school lessons. Learning is such an important part of everyday life. Education and culture are ever-evolving, and we learn new things every single day. We should never stop learning; therefore, it is also important to take advantage of the educational opportunities that we are presented with. EducationDynamics has a new video that encourages people to go back to school and continue their learning process. This video can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDfew0YcDTo.


Emily (EducationDynamics)

recent comments


Follow this blog

Visitors are from...